Friday 14 September 2012

Completed: Analogue: A Hate Story

This was a game that caught my eye a long time before I picked it up on Steam. It is a visual novel game, which I mostly associate with fairly terrible games I downloaded in my teens. The basic concept caught my eye however, you are an investigator sent to an old colony ship which has mysteriously appeared with no living crew on board.

Your task is to find out what happened and salvage any useful data from the ship, upon getting close you quickly find that the onboard AI is still there, and is in fact quite lonely and wanting to talk to you. She is a bit fuzzy on what has happened, a side effect of having been around so long apparently, but she has some files to show you and can pass on information as you go through them.

The ship's population was Korean but somewhere along the voyage they seem to have forgotten their origins and undergone a strange cultural shift, including resetting their calendar and history.

Analogue: A Hate Story is an interesting examination of relationships, male and female gender divides and a much more oppressive society than I am used to. I found the story fascinating and really enjoyed learning about the various characters and events, it has 6 different endings, I only finished the game once, but can definitely see myself coming back to it at some point in the future.


1 comment:

  1. Of more interest the oppressive society is modelled after an older Korean society, information about it is in the help files in game and worth reading :/

    Also, you clearly need to cheat more, your ending screen shot indicates that you didn't cheat enough! :P

    Further, http://blog.scoutshonour.com/ has a bunch of great links including her other works, finally downloading "don't take it personally, babe, it just ain't your story" and "Digital: A Love Story". Also a remix of Fresh Prince of Bel Air and Hate Story! :O

    ReplyDelete